Easy Android Emulation on Windows Tutorial (Mac/Linux too)
Here we are, today we’re not talking about coding but some useful general knowledge since I found this awesome software, Genymotion, which does the same thing we expect Virtual Box or Eclypse could do, but in an easier and quicker way, expecially since it let us get all the device images directly from his cloud system.
The tutorial will be focused on windows, since people familiar with linux could easily emulate Android there.
In order to make Genymotion run, we need a bit of time (about 1 hour), some free space (about 1gb) and some patience. The process is easy but time consuming so prepare yourself.
Time-wise download table
- Android SDK for Windows (or mac or linux) – about 440mb
- Genymotion for Windows with Virtual Box [needs registration] (or mac or linux and Virtual Box should be download alone) – about 20mb
- Device Image [inside Genymotion – see later] – about 250mb
1. Download Android SDK for Windows
- Go to Android SDK for Windows download page which will make you download a .zip archivefile.
- Extract the first folder in the .zip inside your Documents folder, since you’ll never move from there anymore you could choose any position you feel comfortable and that doesn’t require administration rights.
- Open the SDK Manager.exe file, this will open the SDK installer.
- Select all the white boxes which are cointained in the latest Android x.y (API zz)version. Example (Android 4.3 API 18)
- Press Install 11 packages. (not all are required but do it anyway)
- You could move forward in the tutorial while the manager downloads and installs all SDK files.
2. Register and download Genymotion
- Go to Genymotion official site and register yourself, you’ll need again your account credentials to use the software.
- Download Genymotion with VirtualBoxin order to avoid to download it manually. Mac and Linux users must do it theirself.
- Open Genymotion, if everything went fine you’ll see this result, otherwise if it pops up an error regards VirtualBox not enabled search for VirtualBox program and make it run yourself and try again.
3. Download and start a virtual device
- Click + ADDand insert the credentials you used to download Genymotion.
- Choose a device from the list WITH GOOGLE APPS.Because it will save you a lot of time if you intend to use the emulator to test some apps.
- Wait for Genymotion to download the device and conclude the processpressing next next ok.
- Start the virtual devicefrom the main page of the application.
- Insert your google credentials or create new one to simply get access to all typical android features.
Now many of you would say that this tutorial was not necessary and Genymotion is just a plus for VirtualBox but i found it a lot useful, expecially when i want to create multiple different devices, and not many people already know it.
If you intend to use Genymotion for Android Games, it runs very fast but some games become laggy after a while, a trick to restore their initial speed is to press the TAB button in the emulator. It magically fix all, since Genymotion is quite new and so good we should be patient with this kind of minor glitches.